Whilst tourists have started to trickle back to Cyprus in the past week they are still required to follow the current covid-19 guidelines set out by the Cyprus government.
Just like everyone else, visitors to Cyprus will be limited to two outings per day on weekdays and three on weekends of up to three hours each time. These have to be approved by sending an SMS to 8998. In the event that the SMS service does not work for the guest, they can call 0035722285777 and they will speak with an operator which will give them the approval they require for movement. Movement is also restricted to the hours between 6am and 11pm, there is currently a curfew in place between 11 pm and 6 am.
The message you should send for SMS approval of an outing is as follows:
X YYYYYYYYYY ZZZZ
X = Reason for going out
Y = Passport/ID Number
Z = Post Code you are staying in Cyprus
Send the message to the number 8998 and you usually get a reply within seconds that your outing has been approved.
The codes to use are as follows (copied from a government form)
1. Going to a pharmacy, or for blood donation or visiting a physician or going to a Medical Council or for laboratory testing for Covid-19 or for vaccination at the vaccination centres.
2. Going to a retail shop or a catering establishment.
3. Going to the bank for services that are not available online.
4. Strictly necessary visits to public services or services of the wider public sector and local authorities.
5. Providing assistance to people who are unable to take care of themselves or people who must protect themselves or who are in self-isolation and/or in places of compulsory isolation or for visiting a residence or a nursing home or a home/ hostel for vulnerable groups.
6. Going for physical activity or to public gathering places where access is permitted.
7. Going to church for mass or other forms of religious worship or for individual prayer or for attending a ceremony such as a funeral, wedding, christening.
8. Any other reason that may be justified under the lockdown measures (Note 2)
9. Going to a business/organisation the operation of which has not been suspended by virtue of the Quarantine Decrees. …………………………………………………
(1) During their movements, citizens should carry their identity card/passport.
(2) Category number 8 above shall also include, inter alia, the following:
- movement of divorced or separated parents, which is necessary for the uninterrupted communication between parents and children;
2 / 2 - going for specialised therapies for people with disabilities or chronic diseases, together with their carer; - driving a soldier from and to his army camp;
- going to and coming back from Larnaca and Paphos Airports for the transport of persons upon presentation of proof (ticket) showing the day and/or time of arrival/departure;
- movement of farmers and livestock farmers, provided that they produce the CAPO form of hectare or animal subsidy or, in case this is not available, a relevant certificate by the District Agricultural Office;
- going to and coming back from animal shelters to take care or feed stray animals, provided that the person has a certificate validated by a recognised animal welfare organisation and the relevant notification to the Veterinary Services;
- going for tree planting authorised by the Department of Forests.
NOTE: The above information is correct at the time of publication and verified by the Covid-19 helpline which you can call on 1474.